If there's one thing I miss about visiting London regularly, it's going to The Diner for American pancakes. Now I've finished University and weekly trips to London have stopped, I have to make do with creating my own version at home - and it's actually pretty darn easy. On Sunday I woke up early and decided it was the perfect time to indulge in a breakfast treat.
American pancakes with streaky bacon & maple syrup.
- Take 135g plain flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, ½ tsp salt and 2 tbsp caster sugar and sift into a large bowl.
- Whisk together 1 large, lighting beaten egg and 130ml milk into a jug, then whisk in 2 tbsp melted butter or olive oil (I prefer melted butter!).
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, using a fork to beat until you have a good batter; no lumps, smooth consistency. Allow the batter to stand for a few minutes (I always leave it for 30 mins and get some other things done in the meantime).
- Add butter to a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, allowing the butter to melt. Once it's melted, add a ladle of pancake batter to your pan (our fab Tefal pans can cook 3-4 pancakes in at a time). Don't worry if the shape isn't perfectly round! Cook the pancake on one side until the top layer begins to bubble, then turn over and cook until the pancake has fully risen and darkened to a lovely golden brown.
- Serve with streaky bacon, maple syrup and an egg if desired - and don't forget that cup of tea!
This isn't an everyday breakfast for me, if anything purely because of the preparation and cooking time. I usually like something quick and easy (which I have a post on very soon!), but when you've got a day to be lazy and indulge, it's the perfect way to start the day.
My new Dassie Morish Enamel Side Plate* and Morish Enamel Mug* were the perfect finishing touches to my indulgent breakfast treat; from a website I've only recently been introduced to, I love the beautiful design and almost silver grey colour - the same design on the mug is on the plate too. I love hand-crafted goods and enamelware in particular, and there's a few varieties of enamelware to chose from on Dassie, who specialise in Artisan eco-friendly and Fair Trade home decor and gifts.
I wonder what treat I'll be tempted to make this weekend....
*PR samples - Disclaimer
*American Pancake recipe source - BBC Food.