I hold my hands up and admit that I am a sucker for a limited edition set or collection. The recent NARS Guy Bourdin collection has some truly stunning pieces and sets and when I spotted the Promiscuous Lip Coffret (Space NK, £30), I simply couldn't resist. I am a full on lip product junkie and the chance to snap up five NARS lip pencils in one go was too tempting to resist. I have a couple of NARS lip pencils in my stash already and they are some of the best quality lip pencils I have ever tried. I adore the different finishes they do and my favourites are the Velvet Matte Lip Pencils and the Satin Lip Pencils. Within the set is four Velvet Matte Lip Pencils and one Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil. Each is of an adorable mini size which as you can see from my 5 Mini NARS Reviews post, is very generously sized. I would happily buy a lip pencil of this size at a full price in store, although it seems they are only available at a mini size in gift sets, collections and as samples to try. The full sized pencils are 2.4g each for the Velvet Matte range and 2.8g for the Velvet Gloss range. The pencils in the set are 1.8g for the matte pencils and 2.5g for the velvet gloss, which to me is practically a full sized product. The set captures the cinematic realm of 'lust, glamour, and innuendo' throughout the late Guy Boudin's photography. Presented in a stunning gift box, the set comes with a glorious satin and patent lip-embellished makeup bag with a theme of vivid electric blue and back.
1. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella - This was easily one of the shades I was most excited to try, as it seems to be a very popular shade among NARS adorers and beauty bloggers. I expected Cruella to be a bright, true red but it is much deeper and darker than a true red and has a beautiful warm cranberry look to it. NARS describe Cruella as a passionate scarlet red, but I think it's definitely more on the warm, cranberry side of red shades. The Velvet Matte Lip Pencils have a beautiful finish which feels moisturising on the lips in comparison to more popular matte lipsticks. Although I am a complete MAC lipstick junkie and my favourite finish is matte, I prefer the finish of the NARS matte pencils, which is more gentle on the lips.
(Full size 2.4g Cruella Velvet Matte Lip Pencil available at Selfridges, £17.50)
View my MAC lipstick collection here including my favourite matte shades.
2. NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover - This is a shade I already own in mini form, and I've reviewed it in full in my 5 Mini NARS Reviews post. For a gloss finish the NARS Velvet Gloss pencils have a luxuriously creamy formula that feels nourishing on the lips and leaves a beautiful hi-gloss finish without any problems with a sticky finish. The finish is smooth, with great pigmentation and needs reapplying rarely; after food and drink you may need to touch up. NARS describe this shade as 'raspberry sorbet' but personally, this doesn't have the shade of a raspberry for me. I would describe the shade as a peachy nude! As I already own this shade I've actually popped it into my 'Huge Milestone Christmas Giveaway' so be sure to enter to be in with a chance of winning this beautiful velvet gloss pencil.
(Full size 2.8g New Lover Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil available at Selfridges, £17.50)
3. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Sex Machine - Infamous for their promiscuous shade names, NARS have added in a beautiful matte nude shade called Sex Machine. Described as an innocent pink mauve and this is spot on, with a beautiful warm toned, yet subtle nude. Sex Machine reminds me of MAC Velvet Teddy and is a favourite recently for more natural-looking makeup days.
(Full size 2.4g Sex Machine Velvet Matte Lip Pencil available at Selfridges, £17.50)
4. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita - A stunning dusty rose, Dolce Vita is another shade I have been eager to get my hands on so I was thrilled to see it included within the set. A shade that would work well with most skin tones, this shade works particularly well with a smokey eye to finish off a look.
(Full Size 2.4g Dolce Vita Velvet Matte Lip Pencil Available at Selfridges, £17.50)
5. NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Never Say Never - Perfect for those who love a pink lip but want to opt for a more subtle, warming and every-day wearable shade, Never Say Never is a favourite of mine in the set, a beautiful lilac pink that will compliment all skin tones.
(Full Size 2.4g Never Say Never Velvet Matte Lip Pencil available at NARS.co.uk, £17.50)
Overall I am besotted with the set and think it is fantastic value for money. If each of these lip pencils was bought separately, it would cost you £87.50, whereas the set lets you try each shade in a very generous size with a fab makeup bag to go with it. If the full set isn't for you then you can buy the pencils individually and I've linked above the best places to order them. If you decide to make a Selfridges purchase, they also have a fantastic offer on at the moment of 10% off of all beauty with the code SELF2013. The set is currently out of stock on the Space NK website but be sure to check your local Space NK stores to see if they have it in stock. Alternatively it's still available direct from the NARS UK website. Will you be treating yourself or a friend this Christmas to the Promiscuous Lip Coffret?